Leading a Subgroup
If you would like to lead up a subgroup on a particular topic and become a Contributor to Bootstrap, please contact Bijoy. Ideally, subgroups have 1 or 2 leads with a nice Maven, Relater, Evangelist balance! Usually, it will start with one person wanting to do it and then evolve from there. If you're the initial lead for a subgroup, we can work together to find a colead. Having a colead is not a requirement, but highly recommended so you can get "Power of 2," lighten the load, etc. Please do not take on a Subgroup lead role unless you plan to do it for at least 6 months.
It's also important that if you cannot continue leading a subgroup and would like to step down, please alert bijoy so we can help with that process! Given our bootstrapper realities, this is more than likely to happen and also totally fine! Being a Contributor should NOT be a burden and you will likely give others the opportunity to step up. And please, do it sooner rather than later.
- Please see Bootstrap Your Community to learn all about effective community-building.
- Organize a monthly get-together of some kind for the members
- Invite speakers who can enlighten the group on bootstrapping as it relates to the subgroup theme
- Connect subgroup members with each other
- Be a resource and notify the group of appropriate resources
- Coordinate with other subgroup leads on joint activities and cross-pollinate members
- Forge connections with appropriate external communities and organizations
Administration and Online Tools
One of the coleads will become the online administrator for the group. Bijoy will create the yahoo group, wiki page and add you to Enterprise Teaming. Here's how to use these online tools:
- Enterprise Teaming - is used to coordinate all Contributor initiatives and also for initiatives where there are multiple Contributors.
- Group Wiki page: communicate information about the leads, mission, needs and any other internal operation of your group. Updated by the Lead. See the Art Subgroup for an example.
- Yahoo group is used for group discussion and communication of events. We are experimenting with Small World Labs group functionality, and some new groups will be hosted there on a case-by-case basis.
- Use Evite for events. Copy and paste the email list from the yahoo group (by going to the "Members" page and clicking on "Download." You should also create a public URL for your event, which can be shared with others. Evite's RSVP features is the main reason to use this so you can plan and communicate with attendees.
- Please update your event info on the Bootstrap Austin Calendar. Set it up to remind the yahoo group 6 days before the event. You should do an additioanl reminder on Evite 2 days before the event.